Edinburgh Napier University is a public university in Edinburgh, Scotland. It has over 17,000 students, including nearly 5,000 international students, from more than 100 nations worldwide. Napier Technical College was founded in 1964, taking its name from John Napier, the inventor of logarithms and the decimal point, who was born in 1550 in the medieval tower house of Merchiston Castle (the site of the University’s Merchiston campus). His statue stands in the tower of Merchiston Castle today. In 1966, it was renamed Napier College of Science and Technology. In 1974, it merged with the Sighthill-based Edinburgh College of Commerce to form Napier College of Commerce and Technology, which became a Central Institution in 1985. The college was renamed Napier Polytechnic in 1986 and in the same year acquired the former Hydropathic hospital buildings at Craiglockhart. In June 1992 the institution officially became Napier University. At a ceremony witnessed by over 700 staff and students, Lord James Douglas Hamilton and the then Principal, Professor William Turmeau, unveiled the new University sign at Merchiston. In 1994, Napier University acquired its Craighouse Campus. In 1996, the university gained a new Faculty of Health Studies through a merger between the Scottish Borders College of Nursing and Lothian College of Health Studies. In February 2009 it became Edinburgh Napier University Edinburgh Napier was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2009 for Higher and Further Education. The award was made for ‘Innovative housing construction for environmental benefit and quality of life’, recognising the contribution made by the University’s Building Performance Centre towards improving sound insulation between attached dwellings. The motto of the University, Nisi sapientia frustra (meaning “Everything is in vain without knowledge”) echoes the motto of the City of Edinburgh, Nisi Dominus frustra (meaning “Everything is in vain without the LORD”). Edinburgh Napier’s Tartan was launched at the same time as the name change in February 2009. Previously the university used the Clan Napier Tartan; the Chief of Clan Napier welcomed the new University tartan.