The roots of the University of Wolverhampton lie in the 19th century growth of Mechanics Institutes, providing vocational and general education for working men. In Wolverhampton the Free Library (1870) developed technical, scientific, commercial and general classes, while a School of Art, established in 1851, had been developed into the Municipal School for Art in new buildings by 1885. By 1903, we had courses in coach building, house painting and pattern making. By 1905 ‘student scholarships’ were being offered to ‘prized’ students. With a over 180 years of pioneering education for all, the University is now a global provider of entrepreneurial education.